IPng - Recommendations
The list of recommendations put forward in July of 1994 are as follows.
- Current address assignment policies are adequate.
- There is no current need to reclaim underutilized assigned network
- There is no current need to renumber major portions of the
- CIDR - style assignments of parts of
unassigned Class A address space should be considered.
- Simple Internet Protocol Plus (SIPP) Spec (128 bit version)
be adopted as the basis for IPng.
- An IPng Working Group be formed, chaired by S. Deering and R.
- R. Hinden be the document editor for the IPng effort.
- An IPng Reviewer be appointed and that D. Clark be the reviewer.
- An Address Autoconfiguration Working Group be formed, chaired by D.
Katz and S. Thomson.
- An IPng Transition Working Group be formed, chaired by B. Gilligan
- The Transition and Coexistence including testing Working Group
- Recommendations about the use of non-IPv6 addresses in IPv6
environments and IPv6 addresses in non-IPv6 environments be developed.
- The IESG commission a review of all IETF standards documents for
- the IESG task current IETF working groups to take IPng into
- the IESG charter new working groups where needed to revise old
- Informational RFCs be solicited or developed describing a few
specific IPng APIs.
- The IPng Area and Area Directorate continue until main documents
are offered as Proposed Standards in late 1994.
- Support for the Authentication Header be required.
- Support for a specific authentication algorithm be required.
- Support for the Privacy Header be required.
- Support for a specific privacy algorithm be required.
- An "IPng framework for firewalls" be developed.